Eastern Kentucky University’s volleyball team will begin its 2021 season on Friday at the Appalachian Invitational.
EKU begins the two-day event on Friday night against host Appalachian State. The match will air live on ESPN+ and begin at 7 p.m.
The Colonels will close out play on Saturday against North Carolina-Greensboro at 10 a.m. and Radford at 4 p.m.
INSIDE THE SERIES
– Eastern Kentucky is 2-1 all-time against Appalachian State. The teams last met in 2010.
– The Colonels are 2-4 all-time against UNC Greensboro, with the last meeting coming in 2016.
– EKU is 2-2 against Radford. That last meeting with the Highlanders was in 2017.
– Eastern Kentucky went 2-14 during a conference only schedule during the spring of 2021.
– Sophomore Molly Michalak led the team with an average of 3.29 kills per set as a freshman in the spring. She also contributed 2.68 digs per set. Michalak earned first team all-conference honors.
– Setter Audrey Eurton led the team with 9.36 assists per set in the spring, but will miss the fall season with an injury.
– Maddy Campbell returns after leading the team with 46 blocks last season.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
– Appalachian State finished just 1-15 during the 2020-21 season. The Mountaineers played 14 matches in the fall of 2020 and two in the spring. ASU lost three of its top four leaders in kills. McCall Denny returns after averaging 2.13 kills per set, which was second-best on the team.
– UNC Greensboro played 17 matches in the spring, going 2-15 overall and 2-14 in the Southern Conference. Hannah Knier was second on the team with an average 1.71 kills per set last season.
– Radford went 3-13 during a Big South Conference only spring schedule last season. Hailey Flowers is back for her junior season after leading the team with 2.30 kills per set in 2020-21.