The Kentucky men’s tennis team opened the 2019 season in strong fashion on Sunday afternoon, recording 7-0 shutout sweeps of both Indiana University – Purdue University at Indianapolis (IUPUI) and Northern Kentucky University (NKU) at the Hilary J. Boone Varsity Tennis Center in Lexington
“It was a good start to the season” seventh-year head coach Cedric Kauffmann said. “We were focused for a long period of time today during two tough matches. I think this team will get better very quickly. They are listening, focusing on what they need to do to get better, and will working hard to reach the expectations of Big Blue Nation.”
The Wildcats did not drop a set in the opening match on Sunday, winning all three doubles matches and then following that performance by going 12-for-12 in the singles competition. Kevin Huempfner/Kento Yamada shutout Rodney Steven/Kyle Whittaker on court three to give the Wildcats a leg up in the doubles. The opening point of the match was clinched in a 6-2 scoreline by Theo McDonald/Ryo Matsumura.
In singles, McDonald doubled the UK lead to 2-0 thanks to a 6-0, 6-2 win on court two. The Wildcats took a 3-0 lead just a few minutes later on court one as Matsumura wrapped up his first singles win of 2019, 6-1, 6-1. The match was clinched by Yamada on court four – as the Kobe, Japan native needed just under an hour to wrap up a 6-2, 6-3 win to give the Wildcats a 4-0 lead.
Bourgois took care of business 7-6, 6-4 on court two over Alex Jochim to increase the UK lead to 5-0. Kevin Huempfner defeated Eric Hollingsworth (IUPUI) 6-0, 6-1 on court five to put six UK points on the board – and that was capped off by a 6-3, 6-2 win on court six by Fabian Penzkofer.
“Proud of the boys today.” captain Enzo Wallart said. “We took care of business as a young team with a lot of freshman in the lineup. It didn’t look like we had freshman out there today. There weren’t any weak spots in the lineup. The team spirit is starting to get to where we’d like it, as well. I liked what I saw today from the boys, and I think they’re ready for Notre Dame next weekend.”
In the Northern Kentucky match, UK came out with good intensity and focus again, winning all three doubles matches in just over 30 minutes. The pairing of Yamada and Arthur Chen on court six won their match 6-1 and the doubles point was clinched on court one by Enzo Wallart and Cesar Bourgois, 6-2. Penzkofer and Matsumura won 6-2 on court two to complete the three-for-three sweep in doubles.
In singles, all six matches went UK’s way without the Wildcats dropping a set. Penzkofer highlighted the performance on court five with a 6-0, 6-0 win.
Kentucky will turn its attention to Notre Dame on Saturday, Jan. 19. The match will be at home and will start at 1 p.m. ET.
Kentucky 7, IUPUI 0
1. Ryo Matsumura (UK) def. Sean Bailey (IUPUI) 6-1, 6-1
2. Cesar Bourgois (UK) def. Alex Jochim (IUPUI) 7-6, 6-4
3. Theo McDonald (UK) def. Colton Morehart (IUPUI) 6-0, 6-2
4. Kento Yamada (UK) def. Ethan Mardanus-Budio (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-3
5. Kevin Huempfner (UK) def. Eric Hollingsworth (IUPUI) 6-0, 6-1
6. Fabian Penzkofer (UK) def. Michael Koch (IUPUI) 6-3, 6-2
1. Cesar Bourgois/Enzo Wallart (UK) def. Alex Jochim/Colton Morehart (IUPUI) 6-3
2. Theo McDonald/Ryo Matsumura (UK) def. Sean Bailey/Ethan Mardanus-Budio (IUPUI) 6-6-2
3. Kevin Huempfner/Kento Yamada (UK) def. Rodney Steven/Kyle Whittaker (IUPUI) 6-0
Kentucky 7, NKU 0
1. Ryo Matsumura (UK) def. SADAL, Aleksander (NKU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Cesar Bourgois (UK) def. SCHWARTZ, Nathan (NKU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Kento Yamada (UK) def. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (NKU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Theo McDonald (UK) def. CARR, Blaine (NKU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Fabian Penzkofer (UK) def. MURRAY, Chris (NKU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Kevin Huempfner (UK) def. HIDALGO, Felipe (NKU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Enzo Wallart/Cesar Bourgois (UK) def. SADAL, Aleksander/RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (NKU) 6-2
2. Fabian Penzkofer/Ryo Matsumura (UK) def. SCHWARTZ, Nathan/HIDALGO, Felipe (NKU) 6-2
3. Kento Yamada/Arthur Chen (UK) def. ELLEMAN, Nick/CARR, Blaine (NKU) 6-1
For the latest on UK Men’s Tennis, follow the Wildcats on Twitter and Instagram at @UKMensTennis.
‑ GO CATS –
For more information contact: