Northern Kentucky dropped a heartbreaking overtime decision at Dayton on Thursday night, falling 2-1 on a penalty kick golden goal. The loss drops the Norse to 1-2 on the season, while the Flyers improve to 3-0.
Head Coach Bob Sheehan
“Our team has a tremendous spirit and work ethic. We place our team in competitive environments and I have no doubt that we will continue to grow as a team.”
- The first score of the match came by way of Kayla Wypasek’s foot. Wypasek scored in the 38th minute.
- Dayton equalized on Itala Gemelli’s goal in the 82nd minute.
- Lexy Kidd delivered the Flyers’ game-winner in the 93rd minute.
Between the Posts
- Mimi Stines (1-2-0) faced 23 total shots, including seven on goal. She made five saves.
- Madelyn Dewey (3-0-0) saw three shots placed on frame of NKU’s six total attempts in the match and made a pair of saves.
- The first half was a physical affair that saw 18 combined fouls called between the two teams, with Northern Kentucky being whistled for eight.
- Dayton ripped off the first four shots of the game, but none were on target.
- The 22nd minute saw the Norse get off their first two attempts, one each from Lindsey Meyer and Sofia Wilmes.
- More than 15 minutes ticked off the clock before the next shot attempt was taken by either team. However, NKU was the beneficiary of the shot as it was Wypasek’s 38th-minute strike.
- Dayton attempted just one more shot in the half.
- The stanza ended with the Norse receiving a team yellow card.
- Megan Sullivan went on the attack to start the second half, challenging Dewey in the first 29 seconds, but Dewey was up to the task.
- Four shots were taken by Dayton in the next 10 minutes. Stines came up with the save on the lone shot on frame.
- Meyer gave the Norse their second shot of the half in the 56th-minute. Once again Dewey saved the attempt.
- Chloe Mills picked up the second yellow issued to NKU in the match. It was delivered in the 62nd minute.
- Stines made a save in the 73rd minute on Dayton’s Madison Wilson’s attempt.
- Moments later, Wilson was issued a yellow card.
- Wilmes attempted to give the Norse an insurance goal in the 78th-minute. She struck a ball that found the cross bar.
- Stines stopped Gemelli’s attempt in the 81st minute, but Gemelli put the equalizer past Stines in the 82nd.
- Lydia Self was issued a yellow card in the 83rd and Madelyn Koewler picked one up in the 89th.
- Dayton made one last effort as regulation came to a close, but Stines was there to stop the threat.
- The start of overtime saw Mia Perri pick up Dayton’s second yellow card.
- Moments later Self was whistled for a foul in the box and Kidd converted from the penalty spot.
- With Wypasek’s goal, four Norse have scored through the first three matches. Annie Greene, Sofia Wilmes and Chloe Mills have also scored.
- Northern Kentucky finished the match with six shots, placing three on goal. Meyer, Sullivan and Wypasek each put one attempt on frame.
- Dayton registered 23 shots in the match, putting seven on target.
- The Flyers also finished with a 10-0 advantage in corner kicks.
Another road test awaits Northern Kentucky. The Norse will square off against Louisville on Sunday, Aug. 29, at 7:30 p.m.
Assistant Athletic Director
Communications and Media Services
Northern Kentucky University