Northern Kentucky (7-17 Overall, 6-10 Horizon League) dropped a pair of matches against UIC (12-12 Overall, 9-5 Horizon League) on Friday evening.
Game 1: UIC 6, NKU 1
At the Plate
- The Norse reached base seven times, four off hits and three from batters walked.
- Ella LeMonier (1-of-3), Madi Mulder (1-of-3), and Ava Lawson (2-of-3) were the only Norse with hits. LeMonier’s double resulted in the only extra-base knock of the day for NKU.
- Lawson’s second hit of the day, a single to right center, resulted in the lone RBI.
In the Circle
- Northern Kentucky continued its routine of starting Lauryn Hicks to open double-headers. The start is her tenth of the season.
- Hicks’ day came to a close after tossing 5.0 innings. She fanned four Flames and gave up five earned runs. She was credited with the loss and moves to 5-8 overall and 4-4 in Horizon League play.
- Faith Howard came on for Hicks, giving her eight appearances on the season.
- Howard pitched one inning, and gave up a lone hit in four batters faced.
- UIC opened scoring in the first with unearned run by way of Norse error.
- With a pair of outs in the top of the third, LeMonier was walked, moving Lenhart into scoring position. Lawson then stepped up to the plate and singled to right center, advancing Lenhart home.
- The Flames refused to stay tied long, scoring a second run in the bottom of the third.
- UIC faced a two-out situation in the fourth, and made the most of it, scoring a run on a double to left center. This made it 3-1 in favor of the Flames.
- For the third-consecutive inning in the fifth, the Flames put runs on the board. The first was scored on a groundout to the third baseman, the second came by way of a triple down the right field line, and the third was scored on a wild pitch.
- The Norse threatened with a two-out double in the fifth and put a pair of runners on in the seventh with no outs, but weren’t able to bring the runners home.
Game 2: UIC 6, NKU 2
At the Plate
- Jordan Jenkins (1-of-2), Madi Lacer (1-of-3), Lawson (1-of-3), and Mulder (1-of-3) all finished with a hit.
- Lawson’s hit was of the long ball variety and gives her seven thus far on the season. She also finished with a pair of RBI’s.
- LeMonier (2-of-4) ended with a pair of hits and now has a team-high 23 in her freshman campaign.
In the Circle
- Howard picked up the start for the backend of the double-header, marking her first start on the season.
- Howard pitched the entire game, 6.0 innings, and gave up three earned runs. She also finished with four K’s.
- She moves to 0-2 on the year.
- NKU saw Jenna O’Hair and Lawson draw one-out walks in the first before UIC’s Miranda Gomez worked out of the jam.
- Once again, the Flames opened scoring in the first inning. This time by way of a homerun to left field.
- Lawson, not to be outdone, hit her seventh bomb of the season on a two-run shot to right center. Both runs were unearned because of a throwing error by the third baseman.
- After a pair of runners stole second and third, UIC answered in their half of the third with a 2-RBI single down the right field line.
- The Norse loaded the bases with one-out in the fourth, but a hard-hit line drive from Lacer went directly to the second-baseman who stepped on second to turn an inning-ending double play.
- UIC put the game out of reach for NKU with a 3-RBI homer to right center, making it 6-3.
- Northern Kentucky will close out the series against UIC with a doubleheader on Saturday. First pitch is slated for 2 P.M. (ET), with the backend game starting approximately 30-minutes after the conclusion of game one.
Assistant Athletic Director
Communications and Media Services
Northern Kentucky University